Host a student
MLI Homestay is a specially designed division of MLI, created to provide a seamless connection between MLI, the student and the host families. MLI Homestay Administrators in office support the work of our local Homestay Coordinators in each community.
1. Complete the application
2. We will contact you to set up an appointment to visit your family at home. We will include photos of your home and family in the Host Family profile that is provided to students.
3. To complete your application we will also require a Criminal Records Check or Vulnerable Sector Search (VSS) for all members of your household who are over 18 years old (19 in British Columbia).
The Criminal Record Check can be done at your local police station. You may be required to pay a fee of up to $50 per person for this documentation. The online option can be completed via a link that will be sent to you from your MLI Homestay Coordinator and a fee of approximately $30 per person will apply.
If you have already obtained a Criminal Records Check for employment and the check is currently with your employer, a copy of that document or a letter from your supervisor confirming the status of the check will suffice.
All background checks must have been completed within the last three years.
4. Your information will be updated in our database and our team will work on matching you with an international student that has chosen to study in your community.
5. You will be matched and receive a profile of your student prior to their arrival.
6. We will invite your family to an orientation session in your area to help prepare for the student’s arrival.
7. MLI Homestay will provide compensation to the family for hosting once the student has arrived.
8. MLI Homestay will keep in touch with you throughout the student’s stay to ensure you have all the support you need. We offer 24/7 support for our students and families.
9. You will be invited to join the MLI Community via our Social Media to interact with other host families, receive tips on hosting and share your heart-warming stories.